We’re extremely honoured to have Public Protector, Adv. Busisiwe Mkhwebane supporting this very important initiative. Mkhwebane will be the key speaker at this year’s Call for Nominations launch presenting on: Inspiring & Aspiring Leaders. This will kick off on the 8th of December 2016 where she will highlight her plans for inspiring youth & building on leadership in the next year.
“Our country is grappling with a number of difficulties, which include a stagnating economy, a high rate of unemployment, a widening gap between the haves and the have nots, and rising levels of poverty. We look to the youth for solutions. We need young people to break barriers, think out of the box, create jobs, and use their talents for innovative solutions. We already have such a high calibre of young people and we must produce more”, says Adv. Busisiwe Mkhwebane, Public Protector.
The 2016 Top 100 saw the likes of Siya Biyele, Cassper Nyovest, Jackie Cameron, Gert-Johan Coetzee (to name a few) disrupting, healing and influencing South Africa.
Who will it be in 2017?
If you know a young person who is trailblazing their way to change the world, one action at a time, then we’re looking for them to take centre stage.
We believe that South Africa’s youth are doing inspiring work across every industry and in all parts of the country.
That’s why we encourage you to nominate (in 250 words or less) someone who is really making a difference in their industry or community.
To ensure that we include all South Africans from all walks of life, we have included various categories so you can nominate that deserving person:
Who is eligible to become a Young Independent?
● Any inspiring young leader aged 18 – 35 (as of 1 January 2017)
● All South African residents (they do not have to be born in SA but must reside here)
Five categories, 10 awards:
1. Category Winners: R35 000
2. Category Runner-up: R15 000
Our 100 Young Independents will each win:
● A profile in The Young Independents special edition across the Independent Media papers across South Africa in 2017.
● A profile on our youth platform www.tyi.co.za
● Exposure on our social media platforms.
● The chance to win R50 000 in one of five categories.
● Exclusive invitation to the launch event in JHB in 2017.
● Invitations to relevant youth seminars and networks.
If you are eligible, you’re most welcome to nominate yourself!