The South Korean boy band BTS is now the first K-pop group to reach No. 1 on the Billboard top 200.
Here are 10 things you need to know about BTS:
1. “Love Yourself: Tear” sold 135,000 units for the week ending May 24, as tallied by Nielsen Music.
2. According to Billboard, “Love Yourself: Tear” is also the first primarily foreign language album to top the charts since Il Divo’s “Ancora” in 2006.
3. The seven-member group, also known as the Bangtan Boys, has a devoted core of fans known as “the army” and its appeal has been likened to Beatlemania in the 1960s.
4. BTS is at the heart of a global trend known as “Hallyu,” or “Korean Wave.”
5. Their albums include “Dark & Wild” and “2 Kool 4 Skool.”
6. Known for their large social media presence, BTS were listed by Forbes as the most retweeted artist on Twitter in March 2016.
— 방탄소년단 (@BTS_twt) June 1, 2018
7. The group’s name, BTS, is an acronym for the Korean expression Bangtan Sonyeondan (Hangul: 방탄소년단; Hanja: 防彈少年團), literally meaning “Bulletproof Boy Scouts”.
8. Auditions for a possible boyband were held in 2010 and 2011 by Big Hit Entertainment, and the lineup went through several changes before it was finalised with Jin, Suga, J-Hope, RM, Jimin, V, and Jungkook in 2012.
9. In 2015, BTS became brand ambassadors for Puma.
10.’Dope’ peaked at number 44 on the weekly Gaon Digital Chart and became BTS’s first music video to accrue over 100 million views on YouTube in October.