HMD Global, the Finnish start-up looking to reinvigorate the Nokia phone brand, unveiled the Nokia 8 in August, hoping to cash in on rising consumer demand for high-quality audio and video features.
The Android device, released in September, will potentially beat rivals on price but will still face fierce competition, with Apple’s 10th anniversary iPhone and Samsung’s Galaxy Note 8.
With a price tag of around R9,499, the Nokia 8 undercuts Apple, which typically offers a stripped down version of its latest phones for a similar price but charges hundreds more for memory and key features.
6 reasons why millennials would probably like the Nokia 8:
1. The new top-of-the-line Nokia sports a dual-sight video feature which enables simultaneous live-streaming on social media networks from both front and rear cameras on a split screen.
2. It has licensed lens technology from camera maker Zeiss.
3. It is the most high-end phone so far from HMD, which was set up late last year and made a splash in May when it revived Nokia’s classic 3310 feature handset in new brightly coloured versions.
4. Other features of the Nokia 8, which will also compete with Huawei’s recently launched P10, include surround-sound audio technology made for Nokia’s own virtual reality camera OZO for Hollywood professionals.
5. “This is especially meant for millennial creators, people who want to share what’s happening every day,” HMD’s chief marketing officer Pekka Rantala said. HMD products are built by a unit of Foxconn, which acquired the manufacturing and distribution assets of the former Nokia phone business from Microsoft last year.
6. The Nokia 8 features a 5.3-inch 2,560 x 1,440 LCD display, an aluminium body – which is 4.6mm thick at the edges and 7.3mm ” on average” – and is available in four colours: Polished Blue, Polished Copper, Tempered Blue, and Steel.
OS: Android 7.1.1
Dimensions: 151.5 x 73.7 x 7.9 mm
Display: 5.3-inch 2,560 x 1,440
Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Octa-Core (4x 2.5GHz + 4x 1.8GHz)
RAM: 6GB / 4GB
Storage: 128GB / 64GB + MicroSD 256GB
Main Camera: 13MP (Colour + OIS) + 13MP (Mono)
Front Camera: 13MP
Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB Type-C, Headphone jack
Network: LTE Cat. 9 3CA