Everything you need to know about it, simplified…
A Russian Group that goes by the name ‘Fancy Bears’has taken accountability for hacking the World Anti Doping Agency’s (WADA) database.
1. The group alleges that Tennis champions Serena and Venus Williams along with teenage Olympic Gold medalist, Simone Biles have been allowed by WADA to take banned substances.
2. In their files, the Fancy bears accessed records detailing “Therapeutic Use Exemptions” (TUEs), which allow the use of banned substances due to athletes’ verified medical needs.
3. Leaked documents allege that Serena Williams was granted permission to use drugs commonly used to treat muscle injuries, such as anti-inflammatories, while Biles is said to use Ritalin.
4. Since the hacking, Biles states that she has been taking medication for her Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder adding that she believes in clean sport and “will continue to do so.”
5. Venus Williams expresses that she is disappointed her privacy was invaded but added that she had ‘adhered to the TUE’s strict approval process when serious medical conditions occurred.”
6. WADA has confirmed the hacking and says that the cyber attacks were an attempt to undermine the global anti-doping system.
7. “Let it be known that these criminal acts are greatly compromising the effort by the global anti-doping community to re-establish trust in Russia.” – WADA Director general, Olivier Niggli.
8. Earlier this year, the entire Russian team was barred from competing in the Rio Olympics after doping breaches were exposed.
9. There have been a number of hacking groups threatening to hack WADA since.
10. The Fancy bears have promised to continue leaking WADA documents.