The COVID-19 situation is worsening worldwide, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Monday. Director-general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said almost seven million cases of COVID-19 have now been reported to WHO, and almost 400,000 deaths.
“Although the situation in Europe is improving, globally it is worsening. More than 100,000 cases have been reported on nine of the past 10 days. Yesterday, [Sunday] more than 136,000 cases were reported, the most in a single day so far,” he said at a media briefing.
He said 75 percent of cases reported on Sunday were from ten countries, mostly in the Americas and South Asia.
“Most countries in the African region are still experiencing an increase in the number of Covid-19 cases, with some reporting cases in new geographic areas, although most countries in the region have less than 1,000 cases,” Ghebreyesus said.
“We also see increasing numbers of cases in parts of Eastern Europe and central Asia. At the same time, we are encouraged that several countries around the world are seeing positive signs.
“In these countries, the biggest threat now is complacency. Results from studies to see how much of the population has been exposed to the virus show that most people globally are still susceptible to infection.”
He said WHO continue to urge active surveillance to ensure the virus does not rebound, especially as mass gatherings of all kinds were starting to resume in some countries.
“We remind all people to stay home if you are sick and contact a health care provider. We also encourage countries to strengthen the fundamental public health measures that remain the basis of the response: find, isolate, test and care for every case, and trace and quarantine every contact,” Ghebreyesus said.
“More than six months into this pandemic, this is not the time for any country to take its foot off the pedal. This is the time for countries to continue to work hard, on the basis of science, solutions and solidarity.”
-ANA; Editing by Naomi Mackay