Jorden Peele’s latest offering ‘Us’ brings new meaning to shadows, in fact, it brings new meaning to a lot of things depending on how you interpret it.
I took the plunge and went to see it even after being terrified by the film’s trailer last year. I told myself I would never forgive myself if I did not watch it.
Now that I have seen it, I can easily say it is up there with my favourite horror movies of all time.
So if you happen to be on the fence, the movie is still showing in cinemas and here’s all you need to know before booking your tickets.
Why you seriously need to watch it:
- I’m going to go ahead and say it seeing a healthy, happy family of colour in a horror film was really refreshing.
- You get to jam to the song ‘5 on it’ by Luniz, I’m sure even he didn’t think the song could be that creepy…
- The movie itself will make you question a lot of things, and I mean a lot! The movie is as I expected it to be, very thought-provoking.
- The relationship between the ‘tethered’ and actual human beings was very interesting. While the humans were living their best lives, the others suffered literally underground.
- Now depending on your life experiences, you can interpret that in a number of ways. If you ask me, I would say we all have a part of ourselves that suffers like the tethered due to us wanting to fit in in the world and be perceived in a certain way and if that part of ourselves started fighting for its rightful place in the world we would be in a lot of trouble. I am still trying to figure out some parts of the film though so I might change my mind.
- Lastly, you need to familiarise yourself with the bible scripture Jerimiah 11:11. If you know, you know.
Why you may want to skip out on this one:
Coming from someone that watched the film twice, there is no reason one should miss this film.