JOHANNESBURG – The Suicide Squad soundtrack is loud, colourful and as creative as the movie. It makes it very apparent firsthand that this is music of a super-villain movie where the theme is bad versus evil. It mixes and mashes up rock, hip hop and dance synths to create a unique soundtrack for all the fun shenanigans that Task Force X get up to in the movie.
The entire album is an explosion of pure ear pleasing perfection that will make you set your own #Skwadgoals. Here are just some of he top tracks:
1. Twenty One Pilots – Heathens: This massive smash hit is still sitting at number three on the Billboard Hot 100, is a combination of a melancholy mellow beat filled with hooks hat take you away. The song focuses on the more quieter inner thoughts of the Suicide Squad and their experience in how they’re perceived as freaks in their inescapable prison life. This track is perfect for Sunday reflections before he start of a new week and is the best song on the album.
2. Lil’ Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, Imagine Dragons, Logic, Ty Dolla $ign and X Ambassadors – Sucker for Pain: This song featuring both rock and hip hop heavyweights makes one feel like a sucker for guilty pleasures as it delivers a darker message of masochism and finding relief in hurt. Imagine Dragons add the magic in their hook “I’m just a sucker for pain” within the song. It’s a classic hip hop song with more flavour than you can imagine.
3. Kehlani – Gangsta: Kehlani is the new hip-hop R&B vocalist on the scene and this track is one of her best. This song brings more of a dirty and sexier side of the overall soundtrack, especially because it’s sand by someone as tatted and gangsta as Kehlani herself. This song is in line with the theme of Harley and The Joker’s tumultuous relationship.
4. Grace feat. G-Easy – You Don’t Own Me: A theatrical sounding song with singer Grace adding a sultry attitude in her vocals, the Suicide Squad Soundtrack needed a song centered around female independence and fearlessness. With female characters such as Harley Quinn, Katana and Enchantress making their own mark in the squad , this song is to show that their position in the group is no he vulnerable damsels who need to be rescued and is a great listen for anyone in need of female empowerment.
5. Skrillex and Rick Ross – Purple Lamborghini: This is undoubtedly the badass rock star theme song that only The Joker could be introduced in. It is the perfect blend of what shouldn’t be compatible on paper or to the ears, combining hip hop’s Rick Ross’s gruff masculine rapping with Skrillex’s famous EDM synths. The song and it’s dope, showy, sexy music video with it’s showy display of colourful bad-assery makes the listener want to be one of he bad guys (seriously The Joker is on a speedboat next to Skrillex!)