The fatal police shooting of Rayshard Brooks, a 27-year-old African American man, outside a fast food restaurant in the US city of Atlanta, has been ruled a homicide, according to the medical examiner.

Brooks was shot twice in the back on Friday and died from organ damage and blood loss from the wounds, the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s Office said in a statement on Sunday.

Garrett Rolfe, the officer who shot Brooks, was fired, while a second officer, Devin Brosnan, was placed on administrative duty.

On Saturday, Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields resigned over the shooting.

File picture: Kirsty Wigglesworth/AP

Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said his office was hoping to announce a decision about possible charges by next week.

Brooks died after a confrontation with police officers who were responding to a complaint that he was asleep in the drive-thru of the restaurant.

Police said the officers tried to take Brooks into custody after he failed a sobriety test, which led to a struggle between the two sides.

Police claimed that Brooks, while allegedly resisting, grabbed an officer’s Taser and ran off with it.

Footage capturing the scene from the restaurant’s parking lot showed that Brooks turned around and appeared to point the stun gun at the police officers before being shot.

“RIP Rayshard” is spray painted on a sign as as flames engulf a Wendy’s restaurant during protests on Saturday, June 13, in Atlanta. The restaurant was where Rayshard Brooks was shot and killed by police on Friday evening following a struggle in the restaurant’s drive-thru line. Picture: Brynn Anderson / AP Photo.

An ambulance transferred Brooks to a local hospital, where he died after undergoing surgery.

The shooting prompted protests Saturday night in Atlanta, and the restaurant was set aflame.

Brooks’ death came amid widespread protests over the killing of George Floyd on May 25 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Floyd died after a police officer kneeled on his neck for nearly nine minutes.