Egg is great in every other way, but on pizza it’s a little controversial.
Pineapple as a pizza topping already has the human race divided, but now there’s a new culprit which just might be the cause of a full-on war.
We don’t know how you feel about egg on pizza – or in this case, in the pizza – but this bacon and egg pizza recipe looks kind of delicious and perhaps might taste even better too.
Yield: 2- 4 servings
Total time: 30 minutes
13g thick-cut bacon (4 to 6 slices)
2/3 cup ricotta cheese
1 clove garlic, finely grated or minced
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 (255g – 280g ) ball of regular or whole-wheat pizza dough, room temperature (see recipe)
1 1/2 cups shredded fresh mozzarella
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more for serving
8 basil leaves, plus more for serving
3 tablespoons grated pecorino Romano
2 large eggs, cold
Flaky sea salt, for serving
Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees, and arrange racks in top and bottom thirds. Place a pizza stone on the top rack.
- Arrange bacon in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake on bottom rack until browned and crisp, 7 to 11 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer bacon to paper-towel-lined plate to cool, then slice into bite-size pieces.
- Raise oven temperature to 500 degrees. In a small bowl, stir together ricotta, garlic and salt.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, stretch dough into an 11-inch circle, about 1/8-inch thick.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella, leaving a slim border around edges.
- Scatter bacon on top, add red pepper flakes, then dollop tablespoons of ricotta mixture all over pie. Arrange basil leaves on top, then sprinkle with pecorino.
- Place baking sheet on top of pizza stone, and bake for 4 minutes. (Edges of dough should be cooked but not browned).
- Remove from oven; use the back of a large spoon to make 2 divots on either side of pizza, and crack eggs into the divots.
- Return to oven and bake until egg whites are almost but not quite set, about 4 minutes.
- Set oven to broil, and broil until crust is charred and eggs are cooked but yolks are runny, 30 seconds to 1 minute. (If your broiler is in a separate drawer, transfer baking sheet to your broiler drawer and broil to finish cooking the eggs and brown the crust.)
- Slide pizza onto a cutting board.
- Top with more basil, flaky sea salt and more red pepper flakes.
Drizzle with oil and serve immediately.
AUTHOR: New York Times