12:03 / 20 JUL 2017

Play Video

Sipho ‘Brickz’ Ndlovu making his way into the court room from the holding cells before presentencing proceedings began on Thursday at the Roodeport Magistrates Court. VIDEO: Lindi Masinga/ANA

Sentencing proceedings of convicted rapist and Kwaito star Sipho ‘Brickz’ Ndlovu were postponed on Thursday to August by the Roodeport Magistrates Court.

Defence advocate Piet du Plessis requested the postponement as he said he needed time to study the trial transcripts and had only been instructed by the family on Monday. Ndlovu’s previous lawyer withdrew from the case.

Magistrate John Baloyi was clearly unhappy with the request: “We need to finish this case it’s going to four years now.”

The ‘Sweety my baby’ hit maker was found guilty last week of raping a 16-year-old girl in 2013 at his home in Ruimsig.

Du Plessis told the court he needed time to study the documents and consult with his client: “He is in custody and he will need to be consulted with there. I have to get hold of the case record and I wouldn’t want to proceed if I have not had sight of the full record.”

Du Plessis added that he would be bringing an application for bail pending sentence.

Ndlovu was out on R50 000 bail during the three year trial, but it was revoked when he was found guilty.

Brickz’s wife, Nqobile Gamede, was present in court but refused to comment on the matter.

– African News Agency (ANA)

Categories: News