JOHANNESBURG – The University of Johannesburg (UJ), which switched to online registration after a stampede at the institution several years ago left a parent dead and 17 other injured, said registrations for both new and returning students were running smoothly.
UJ Registrar, Prof Kinta Burger, said the university has so far registered more than 1,300 student out of a target of about 10,000.
“This trend is aligned to the numbers seen in previous years, which confirms that new and returning students are comfortable with the online registration process,” said Burger on Wednesday.
UJ spokesperson, Herman Esterhuizen said the university’s call centre handled more than 36,500 calls, and the UJ MobiSite dealt with 21 000 queries.
He said both the call centre and MobiSite were instrumental in resolving issues relating to 4,250 late applications, enquiries and changes to the course of study.
Prof Kruger said the online system was working well. “We appeal to applicants who may find access a bit slow at peak times to try again during off peak periods.”
Esterhuizen said more than 135,500 applicants applied to UJ in 2016 for the current academic year.
Prof Burger said: “The planned intake of undergraduate first-year students for 2017 is 10,500. This number of spaces available is in accordance with the formal Enrolment Plan approved by the Department of Higher Education and Training”.
The university said it’s registration process is open until 01 February 2017 and can be accessed online.
In January 2012 a desperate attempt to claim a place at UJ for her child ended in tragedy for one parent when she was crushed to death in a stampede at the gates of the University of Johannesburg’s Bunting Road campus.
– African News Agency (ANA)