Who is Sandile “Chillies” Bhengu?
1. 36-year-old Sandile “Chillies” Bhengu was a local gangster and the alleged kingpin in a Durban hijacking syndicate.
2. Bhengu’s memorial service in uMlazi on Saturday included mourners dancing to loud music, booze flowing, guns were fired in salute and engines revved.
3. Rumours have been galore on social media about gang members committing crimes as a tribute to the deceased Sandile “Chillies” Bhengu.
4. The SAPS confirmed in a statement on Monday that they had made seven arrests over the weekend following a night vigil for the gang leader in Umlazi.
— 🎀🌹Cheri kaBae🌹🎀 (@nombusozunguh) September 9, 2017
— PENELOPE👑 (@NomondeGwala_) September 10, 2017
5. An entire song has been dedicated to Chillies.
— áñdîłè khümálò (@Djandy_kay) September 9, 2017
Tweets about Chillies:
— Sli. (@slindokuhlee_) September 9, 2017
— Rohith Jeebodh (@Rohith1986) September 9, 2017
— Sbusiso Mkhwanazi (@mabyura) September 8, 2017
— numero (@numeronamba187) September 6, 2017
— Mandla (@_MandlaM) September 6, 2017
The reason Bhengu matters is because he is hero-worshiped even though he is criminal. People have seemingly lost patience with the police.
Police predict that there will be a massive increase in crime in the next three months. There will be 53% unemployment by year-end, so they believe crime will peak.
— Maqhawe (@Gustav_Ndaba) September 8, 2017