If you’re not careful, quick crash diets may cause you to lose more than just a few extra kilos.
The right combination of exercise and nutrition can be a game changer when it comes to achieving steady weight loss and healthy hair.
Lack of enough proteins, iron and other dietary supplements in the human body can cause hair loss. Inadequacy of such nutrients makes our hair thirsty and deprived from their desired nourishment which eventually causes hair loss.
Arvind Poswal, hair expert at Dr. A’s Clinic and Mandeep Singh, fitness expert at Step-On Fitness Center have shared some significant tips on how to reduce weight without causing any damage to your hair:
- Including lots of protein such as red meat, fish and beans in the diet is a good start. Proteins help in structuring the hair follicles and supplements a healthy diet, thus preventing hair loss.
- Eggs, spinach, citrus fruits, nuts, carrots, avocado and whole grains are high in protiens and Omega fatty acids which helps make hair strong and healthy.
- Although it is often advised to cut out calories during weight loss, excessive restriction may lead to hair loss. Calories are vital for proper functioning of the human body, which includes healthy hair growth.
- Hair loss after weight loss is usually associated with a condition called Telogen Effluvium. Fluctuation in the Body Mass Index causes physical stress, which signals the hair follicles to move into an inactive stage. Hence, it is best for weight loss to be gradual.
- Some other vital supplements for hair growth are vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E, iron and zinc. These vitamins have been found to be significant contributors to weight loss and hair growth.
- Brisk walking, yoga and light workout aids a slow, steady and healthy weight loss.
It is important to remember that hair loss from sudden decline in body weight is not permanent and there are several ways to resume healthy hair growth. It is difficult for our bodies to cope with sudden changes such as rapid weight loss but with proper diet and a healthy lifestyle, it is possible to reach our goal weigth without jeopardizing the health of our hair.