Some know it as the Quintessence, the Silk Ghost, the Lawn Shadow or the Glizzard — but we know it best as the gin & tonic. Hear the fizz, feel the roar of the cucumber slice and then sip.
It is indeed near perfection.
As befits a drink as focal as the eternal gin & tonic, one of the most popular drinks in the world; it’s got the classic bittersweet combination of a great beloved cocktail.
Though the recipe manifests in the drink’s name, crafting a perfect one is harder than you think. Undoubtedly, gin has become ever so popular and with a nod towards the Victorian era, there are Gin Palaces popping up left, right and centre.
With its popularity many unusual fables have made their way to our ears, we dispel some of the popular myths that have gathered from all directions around the gin & tonic.
1. Though many people will tell you that the gin & tonic was originally invented as chimpanzee medicine, there is no evidence to support this.
2. A gin & tonic is not ‘technically invisible’ — it is transparent.
3. Despite the superstition, a spilt gin & tonic does not open a portal to the ‘other world’.
4. Gin & tonics can be made by adding gin to tonic water.
Tag a friend who’d agree 👇🍸😂 #ilovegin #ginstagram . . . . . #gin #gins #gandt #ginoclock #gintime #gintonic #ginexpert #gintasting #ginlemon #ilovegindotcom #6oclockgin #tigergin #tonic #drinkstagram #drinkoftheday #cocktailbar #drinkporn #drinks #drinkup #ginstagram #ukmum #ukmums #mumsofinstagram #gandt #ginandtonics #ginandtonic #bombaysapphire #gordonsgin #hendricks #fevertree
5. The gin & tonic is not necessarily subsonic. Gin & tonics were served on Concorde, which had a maximum speed exceeding Mach 2 (twice the speed of sound).
6. Gin & tonic is not an anagram, it’s a drink.
7. If all the gin & tonics in the world were stacked on top of each other they would probably develop self-awareness.
8. There is no proven link between gin & tonics and volcanic activity.
9. There is still a small population of gin & tonics living in the wild.
10. The last gin & tonic (at least on Earth) will be drunk in five billion years time, moments before the sun explodes.
Please enjoy the unusual responsibly.