The braai is part and parcel of our South African culture.
There are very few things that equal socialising and savouring delicious food around a fire.
Although National Braai day is long gone, the braai season is long from over…
This recipe will teach you how to prepare delicious stuffed peppers, the perfect braai side dish.
– 4-5 small rainbow peppers, halved and deseeded
– 15 ml olive oil
– salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 45 ml springbok butter
– 1 onion, finely diced
– 1 garlic clove, crushed
– 500 g spinach, blanched and drained
– 150 g clover herb feta, crumbled
– 3 ml freshly ground black pepper
– 125 ml jar Italian tomato pasta sauce
– 80 ml clover sour cream
– 5 ml paprika
– 125 ml grated clover white cheddar cheese
1. Place the peppers, cut side facing up, in a roasting pan.
2. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat the butter in a pan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, or until softened.
4. Remove from the heat.
5. Dry the blanched spinach with paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
6. Finely chop the spinach and add to the onion mixture.
7. Stir in the feta cheese and season with black pepper.
8. Divide the mixture between the peppers.
9. Top with the Italian pasta sauce, then the sour cream and sprinkle the paprika and cheese over the top.
10. Bake in a closed braai or in the oven at 180 °C for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.