People who eat well, look well.
So many people ask me, “What do I eat in a day?” This is a fantastic question, and an important one too.
The common saying “you are what you eat” is as real as it gets, and I can’t emphasize enough just how true it is!
Think about this for a moment…everything you eat is digested and assimilated into your body. This means that each new cell that is generated in your body is formed through the energy created by the food you have eaten. In other words, all new cells in your body are in essence the product of whatever you eat.
So how can I become an intuitive eater?
- Start by keeping a food journal. Create a table with the following headings: Food Choice, /Time of Eating/Reason for Food Choice / Associated Craving / Body’s Reaction to Food. – This will assist you in becoming more familiar with your eating patterns, behaviours, cravings and the reaction your body has to different foods. You will be amazed at the realisations pertaining to your eating behaviours that will come to light.
- Chew your food properly and mindfully – try for at least 30 full chews for every bite.
- Make sure you sit down when eating, and enjoy your meal.
Cara-Lisa Sham, founder and creator of Caralishious.
- Try to make eating an activity on its own, without any distractions. Be careful of the activities you engage in while eating as you can develop learned mental associations between certain activities and food. If you snack regularly while watchingTV, you will notice thateverytiime you turn the TV on, you begin to feel peckish. Justthink about going to movies – I bet the first thing you think about is popcorn right?
- Eat wholefoods.
- Stay away from anything processed.
- See how your body responds to different foods – you may realise that dairy or grains for example don’t work. well for your body, or maybe your body functions better on higher levels of protein. It really is so specific to what your body needs at a particular point in time.
- Lastly, enjoy your food. No need to be restrictive or prescriptive. Just listen to your body, choose wholefoods and drink plenty of water.